Red or White Heat Light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jayon, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    It has started to drop into the -teens here in Northern Utah. I have a heat light pointed at the roost to keep the heat up a bit in my coop. The other day my red light when out so I put a white on in it. Now the chickens are a lot more active during the night. They are all about 8 months old. Is it alright to use a white light? Should I go back to red? Is 24 hours of artificial light bad? Do they even need heat? It might get to-20 at the lowest. Ofcourse it is not this cold in the coop. May be 10-20.

Thank you,
    Jonathan

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    The red light will keep them warm while allowing them to rest a little better. They say 24 hour a day light can lead to reproductive problems in birds, but that is typically for studies of caged layers over a period of a couple years. I doubt they need it, that is a point of contention here sometimes.

3. the1moe

the1moe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I live here in Florida. but I would think that you no longer need a light... they should be old enough (feathered out) to basically take the cold that you are reporting... good luck..//Moe

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would go back to the red light, 24/7 light can cause issues !!!

5. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Quote:Ditto...too much light 24/7 stresses them out. I have actually heard it causing pecking problems and as mention by others productivity probs

IMO stick with the red light. [​IMG]

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    In my middle coop I use ceramic bulbs - they are great, very sturdy and safe, and give no light. You can find these in the reptile section of the pet store, and I think "Shop the Coop" on this site carries them too. They come in 60W, 100W, 120W, and 150W. I have all four sizes, and they are all very safe IF you use a ceramic base with it. I use the coated clamp lamps, also from the reptile section of the pet store.

I have one of mine plugged into a thermocube so it only kicks on when the temp gets below 35 F.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

7. Quote:Oh, I second this one. If you can find that thermocube thingy that would also help out. The ceramic coils seem to last forever. They are humidity resistant and the birds really like them. They put off no light and are safe. I would go with the 150 watts one and not mess with the lower wattage ones. I would not use them until the birds are about 6 weeks old. I would still use the white or red lamps until then. These are 250 watters and the extrem cold outside can warrant their use. Alwyys follow the 5 degree less per week theory which starts off at 95 degree for hatchlings.

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Oh, I second this one. If you can find that thermocube thingy that would also help out.

Thermo-Cubes are readily available on eBay.

9. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I plan to switch to ceramic. I use a red lamp on a timer. When it switches on at 4 a.m. my rooster starts crowing. [​IMG]

10. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    i would go back to red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by