Red or White Leghorns???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MakNat, Nov 19, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    If you breed a White rooster to White hens and Red hens. Is it only white or red you get. Or do other colors emerge?? I know the white and white makes white. It was the white and red is was wondering.

2. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I know its kinda a stupid ?? But have seen other colors, was wondering where they come from?...

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Depends entirely what the white is masking. White Leghorns are usually Black birds with Dominant White, but may also mask Barring,Blue, or Columbian. The first cross would give all white birds, but the F1 mating could give White,Black,Cuckoo,Blue,White tailed Red, White tailed Red Cuckoo,White tailed Gold,White tailed Gold Cuckoo,White tailed Blue Red,White tailed Blue Red Cuckoo,White tailed Blue Gold Cuckoo,White tailed Blue Gold ,Black tailed Red, Black tailed Red Cuckoo,Black tailed Gold,Black tailed Gold Cuckoo,Black tailed Blue Red,Black tailed Blue Red Cuckoo,Black tailed Blue Gold Cuckoo,Black tailed Blue Gold , and all of these colours as Blue tailed varieties, Pyle, Barred Pyle,Red Duckwing,Blue Duckwing, both as Cuckoos,Gold Duckwing,Crele,Blue Crele .all depends on what is in the genome of the White & how many chicks you hatch.
    David

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I'll to take a stab at it..
    Like you said White mated to White will result in White offspring.
    Now I'm not to sure of the make up of the red in Leghorns but here we go..
    White is dominate but not completely dominate, White can mask/cover up/suppress other colors and is less efficient at suppressing gold/red pigment than black. In its heterozygous form, and depending which other pattern genes are present, it produces varieties such as pile, buff laced... So the offspring from a Red/White cross should be Red maybe with some black ( or other ) color leaking through depending on what the Red and/or the White has "hidden" in its back ground..

Chris

5. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Cool!! I'll find out around Christmas. Planning an end of year hatch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by