1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red patches of skin on chick. Mites? Lice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rivers2011, Jun 5, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    I've been posting a lot of health questions about this little guy/girl, and one more question has come up.
    As I was giving her a bath today, I could see a very dark red patch of skin under her wing area. It is the size of a nickle and looks very similar to a blood blister. We searched through her feathers (after leaving her in the dark for 10-15 minutes) but haven't seen any sign of lice. Also, in another area below that one, the skin is bright red at the base of the feathers for about an inch. There is no other patch of skin on her entire body that is red like these two places.
    Are these blood blisters or signs of some other kind of barely visible pest?

The picture quality is terrible, but you can sort of see that the patch of exposed skin on the right is a deeper shade than the skin on the left, though the darkest part is covered by feathers
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    He hasn't been trying to scratch himself at all, except around the head, just like my other chicks do everyday (not constantly though)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by