Red patches on legs. Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellyrose, Oct 15, 2011.

1. shellyrose

shellyrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    [​IMG] Noticed these red patches coming up on my roosters legs over the past few weeks, anyone know if this is a sign of disease? I lost a hen to a mystery illness last week wondering if it may be related.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    I just noticed that on some of my chickens legs today. It looked like that but went in a straight line up the leg on the outside, and I was just getting ready to make a post about it.

3. shellyrose

shellyrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Yeah, mine went in a line on the outside of leg too, hard to photograph properly, then it has moved to the feet as well. Very strange.[​IMG]

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm wondering if it might be the start of leg mites...just getting established perhaps. I'd look into it for sure. If it is leg mites, you'll want to tackle it immediately with a few days coating their leggs and toes with vaseline.

5. ChickenCrazy4ever

Jan 26, 2011
    Leg mites? That means half my flock has them! Where do the mites come from?

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Rooster hormones can cause that.

Imp- I think they are..well umm.. interested.

7. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    The pink/red is a sign of virility... Active roosters often have the red stripe. Nothing to worry about.
    Having said that, it does look from the picture like there might be some leg mite happening... Easily fixed with vaseline or olive oil and a dusting of the areas they roost and preen in.
    cheers
    Erica

8. ChickenCrazy4ever

Jan 26, 2011
    Quote:My hens have that. Does that mean I need to put olive oil or vasoline on their legs? If so, do I put it on the whole leg or just where the red is?

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:My hens have that. Does that mean I need to put olive oil or vasoline on their legs? If so, do I put it on the whole leg or just where the red is?

That rooster is showing signs of a POSSIBLE scaley infestation in addition to the reddening. The reddening has nothing to do with scaley leg mites and is a normal occurrence in some birds especially roosters.

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:Yeah, on the front of the right leg it appears to have some raised "scales"-which from my understanding is mite poo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by