red pepper

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparksNV, Nov 25, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    do you use ground cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes? how much do you add to your feed? do you add it to dry feed or do you make a mash? I am trying this to encourage egg laying. thanks!

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

I just started using it to discourage worms, as per the advice I received on here. I use cayanne powder and i mix it with the crumbles until it colors the feed a rusty color. The chicks are eating it well and I just orderd a pound for 7 dollars from myspicesage.com. They are only 8 weeks so can't attest to whether or not it affects laying. They have only been eating about 2 days so other than attesting to the fact that they do indeed eat it, I cant verify much at all...but im hopful!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I sprinkle it on the poop in the yard to keep the dog from eating it.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:[​IMG]

I did'nt know it did anything for laying but my girls get a good dose of it from mac&cheese left overs. They love my weekly mac and cheese.

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I have sprinkled it around my veggies in my garden and around the top of my fence to keep the neighbor's cat out.

I want to try it for egg laying though.

6. redonthehead

redonthehead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    ROFL! I had no idea you could even feed it to the chickens... love the spreading it on the poop comment! Ha ha!

On a side note, we mix our laying mash with boiling water and the hens LOVE it... occasionally when we just give them the dry mix their egg production goes down. I don't know what it is about the "hot mix" as I call it, but it seems to push the eggs right out of them.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Red pepper has no impact whatsoever on laying. It's an old wives' tale.

If you want to encourage laying this time of year use supplemental lighting. That is a proven way of doing it.

Pepper on the poop... Funny. I like the way you think, ddawn.

8. brother-al

brother-al New Egg

Oct 9, 2009
    i dont know what it does for egg prod. but my birds love the leaves the peppers the whole plant. cleaned my plants up:)

9. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your dog must be a wuss.LOL.
    My tough as nails "pooper eaters" toy breed house dogs think I put the powder or hot sauce on poop as a condiment.Not LOL for me!

10. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    After I read that it might discourage rodents (apparently there's a brand of birdseed that includes pepper to keep squirrels from eating it) I started adding cayenne to dry feed. I just mix in as much as I can tolerate smelling [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by