red/pink feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjaazzy, Dec 9, 2015.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    We have had days and days of rain. I have noticed my Buff Orp Rooster has bright pink coloring between his toes. I really don't see that on any other birds. Maybe just a hint of pink on 2 more one in his house and another in a house 15 feet away and that coop doesn't free range they are 13 weeks and are in a large coop. All get to perch up high and dry but the floor is a mess from sideways rain. I put fresh hay down but don't want to add too much cause when the weather dries up for a few days and I can move the horses back to their now flooded paddock. I want to pressure clean the whole thing out (the BO rooster is in a converted gazebo and has floor boards so I can bleach it or something equal to cleanin it. So I did a little research on the internet and someone mentioned Mites. Yikes! but there was talk of scaling and I don't see that. Should I rub some triple antibiotic on it or spray with blue Kote or something else..... or do BO's get this coloring? He will be 1 end of January.

2. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I just feed and I do believe it is mites, it was raised and raw looking. Can I dust the floor of the coop till I can clean it out good. I don't want to add any water to the property right now. We have more rain coming. Should I dust the bodies of the chickens too? I don't see any evidence of it on their bodies but I want to be pro active.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of his feet? Sometimes reddened skin between toes can be normal in a fertile bird, especially in roosters.

4. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks egg....I will get one tomorrow....thanks I am becoming a problem child...this wet weather is doing me no favors.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Healthy sexually mature rooster will have bright pinkish red between their toes as you are describing, it's a sign of a healthy fertile rooster.

6. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Oh man this will be great if we are ok....I could use a thing or two off my list....when I go out today I will photograph him. Thank you all....

7. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I agree with egg, and oldhens, you can also check the bottom of his feet as well someyimes it can be bunbnle foot but i doubt its that i imagine its just a healthy pink skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by