Red Plugs in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Feb 4, 2014.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Ho w many take out the red plugs while incubating?The only time I take one out is when the hatch is going on and I have to add water and the humidity goes way up,then when it is normal again I put it back.But I was told you need to keep one out all times because the eggs need to breath.I have a fan and a turner in my hova bator so I thought the fan would give enough oxygen and circulation for the eggs.I set eggs this morning. I tried leaving out one plug yesterday while I was getting it ready for today and I could not keep any humidity in it due to the furnace running our air is very dry even with two humidifiers going in the house.I like to keep my humidity between 20 and 30% till day 18 then 60 to 70% till after hatch.Thanks for any help

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I lost my plug, so I never use it. I believe it's there if your humidity is getting lower and lower during hatch, but I've never had that issue. It holds pretty steady without the plug.

3. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
    I have a LG and most of time I have the larger holes covered with tape until day 18. Also my LG also has 4 smaller hole on top on each side and I'm thinking 4 smaller holes on the bottom. They stay open all the time when eggs are in. On day 18 I feel you must supply enough fresh air to keep from stressing out the chicks as they hatch, thus opening as many air holes as possible. In order for me to maintain 65-70% humidity, I fill all three reservoirs on bottom then place a cut down 16 oz. soda bottle inside next to eggs.

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have those holes to,so I`m thinking I will leave the plugs in till I take them out of the turner on day 18 and candle,then leave one plug out.I put a sponge in then to and have a syringe that I can put water on if the humidity gets to low,which it does a lot.That saves from opening the bator.

5. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas

Sounds like a good plan. :)

6. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Humidity was 10 this morning in bator had to add water,would b adding everyday if plug was out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by