Red poop

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
A few days ago we got 2 Porcelain D’uccle chicks.
We were told when we picked them up that they are 11 weeks old.
The little one has what looks like bloody poop and we were wondering what it is and if is it serious
The chick on the right is the one doing it
Thank you for your help!
DFE1EA91-7E28-4411-94A3-29615BB13322.jpeg
01E35DC7-F205-4E57-9793-FA18B9A1999A.jpeg

Coccidiosis is my main suspect. That's a lot of blood. Amprollium (Corid) is the most-often recommended treatment, and you need it ASAP. Sulfonamides may also be a viable treatment option; there are several medications out there.

Amprollium works by removing B1 (which the microbes need to survive) so don't give anything that contains thiamine in large amounts while you're medicating.

Electrolytes may help with the dehydration.

Welcome to BYC. I agree that if that was in my chickens’poop, I would treat with Corid for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure they drink plenty of it or dip beaks. You may also safely give a sick bird a drench of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml twice a day in addition to the treated water. Change it daily, and have it as their only water source. Keep bedding dry and clean to minimize ingesting more of the coccidia organisms.

Welcome to BYC. I agree that if that was in my chickens’poop, I would treat with Corid for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure they drink plenty of it or dip beaks. You may also safely give a sick bird a drench of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml twice a day in addition to the treated water. Change it daily, and have it as their only water source. Keep bedding dry and clean to minimize ingesting more of the coccidia organisms.
We are going to get corid as soon as we can

I would get it today if possible. If they have coccidiosis, they can become sick quickly. Call around to some farm stores to save a trip if they are out of it. Sometimes the liquid is less expesnive that the powder. Other brand names are Amprol or Ampromed. Some people and vets will use sulfa antibiotics.
upload_2019-1-16_16-15-12.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-16_16-13-58.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-16_16-13-58.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
A few days ago we got 2 Porcelain D’uccle chicks.
We were told when we picked them up that they are 11 weeks old.
The little one has what looks like bloody poop and we were wondering what it is and if is it serious
The chick on the right is the one doing it
Thank you for your help!
View attachment 1643754 View attachment 1643756
I am NOT against treating with corid, and agree with the others that you start this ASAP, but I’d also call and ask the person who sold/gave them to you if they’d been feeding any fruit or berries, or if, since it looks warm where you are, if they had access to any magnolia buds which have bright red seeds in them which are actually completely NON-toxic btw, but produce a poop that looks alarmingly like fresh blood.

Back
Top Bottom