Red protruding bottom on 3 week old...she ok?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chuckyjo, Jul 2, 2008.

1. chuckyjo

chuckyjo Out Of The Brooder

Hi there chick lovers, this is my first post. My daughter and I have tried (unsuccesfully) to hatch from our 3-egg incubator (two chicks pipped and died) but our "egg man" Gave us 5 chicks. 2 were weak little things and died at 3 days in a way which sounds common to youngsters, the other 3 are fine and doing great at 2 and 3 weeks old.

One of our 3 week olds has been doing "Squeaky" poos and her cloaca/anus is red and slightly protruding. I've had a little look and it sort of pulses/throbs but isn't bleeding and doesn't seem too painful. I did gently touch it try and push back in with some olive oil on my gloved finger, it didn't bother her but hasn't made much difference.

Her faeces and feeding/behaviour are normal but she's pecking at her behind a bit.

What can I do? Does her feed need changing? She's still on chick crumbs. We love our chicks and couldn't bear them any harm!

xxx

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Her faeces and feeding/behaviour are normal but she's pecking at her behind a bit.

...that would explain the redness and not getting better. Instead of olive oil I would use a soothing aloe vera and if you can find it something with witchhazel in it (I believe there is a prep H product that has witchhazel in it too)... this will help the inflammation.​

3. chuckyjo

Thank you so much! I have both witchazel and aloe vera, I shall apply it today. Do you think I should try one first, see how it goes, then try the the other? Or both at once for maximum effect?!

Probably initially go for the Aloe as it's in gel form. More soothing and will stay put I guess.

Wonderful advice, thanks a million!

xxx

4. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    witchhazel first then aloe vera

5. chuckyjo

I cleaned her backside with witchazel on a damp cotton pad, then I applied the aloe vera gel with a q-tip on the red bulging area. She didn't squawk or wriggle at all, she was an angel! She's pecked a little bit but I'm hoping the aloe coating will have prevented her hurting herself and be doing some good.

She busy fighting over a feather with her pal!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  6. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    cleaning is best done with sterile saline which you can make yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp of salt in a quart of water for five minutes (this must be discarded after 24 hours)...
    You might think on giving them a bit of watermelon (in fact you can scoop a bit out of the middle (eat that yourself) in effect making a "bowl" and put their chick starter in that) to peck at... a feather can in some instances puncture the crop etc.

7. chuckyjo

Fantastic advice, thanks!

She's ok in herself so I'm not too worried, but the other remedies haven't made much difference over the last few days.

I'll try your advice tonight, thanks!

Jo

8. Yukonn15

Yukonn15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    I need some advice too. Seems like my 10 day old chick has a continual pasty, throbbing, protruding anus. I'm going to try the prep "H" idea. I've been cleaning her with warm water and the next day, it just happens again. Is this easy to fix? What else can I do for her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by