Red pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Twinklin, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Twinklin

Twinklin Songster

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    I had posted a pic of all my different breeds a little while back and the people who responded said they were all pullets. My red (sold as RIR but assuming production red) is starting to worry me though and someone in the RIR thread said it is most likely a roo so I'd like more opinions. She's just under 3 months. She hasn't changed much in the past month, all the other chickens have passed her in size by quite a bit and her tail feathers are looking wonky to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks to be a pullet.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i'm gonna say roo, im just going by tail

4. MrsLumpy

MrsLumpy Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Texas
    I'm going with pullet... I am by no means an expert, but it looks just like my little lady (almost 3 months).

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Songster

IM not seeing pointed hackle feathers. Can you maybe get a pic of just above the tail?
    So far, shes not looking like a roo to me though. She looks a lot like 2 of my red girls.

6. Twinklin

Twinklin Songster

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    thanks all... I'll do my best to get another pic closer up tomorrow.

7. Twinklin

Twinklin Songster

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    Here's some pics I took this morning trying to get better close ups. She is the fastest most squirmy chicken of the bunch but I did my best.

Tail end
    [​IMG]

Neck
    [​IMG]

As you can see she's about 3 months and very little wattle
    [​IMG]

Another tail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headshot
    [​IMG]

thanks for everyone's help

8. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Songster

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Looks like a pullet my rir Little is 4 months old and looks like her only bigger and her face is starting to redden up.

9. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Songster

Jun 13, 2013
    Just love your sweet faced little pullet! She looks like the sister of my PR RIR girls. (15 weeks.) The neck feathers of the PR RIR can have a pointy type look to them, so it's easy to confuse them I think. In this breed, I believe the saddle feathers seem better to watch for.

I've also included a photo of one of our 6 week old roos. You can see that his comb is much more developed at a younger age, and turning red, showing bigger waddles than the older girls- even though he is only just now feathering in. Our boys were always bigger and more angular/ muscular, and looked more obviously like boys at just a few weeks old. The other thing is I notice that most of the roos have more irridescent neck feathers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Songster

Pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: