Red Pyle X Black OEGB Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MSH, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so I hatched some OEGB eggs the rooster is red pyle the hen is Black I have 2 grayish and red chicks and 1 black chick I'm just wondering if they could be sex linked if not then what colors do you think they could end up being ? I have never seen a red pyle chick but the grayish and red chicks reminf me of my blue red OEGB rooster any chance of the parents making that color ?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Don't think they'll be sex linked, crosses wrong way to be.
    Colors, who knows the baby sown don't always tell the color of the adult bird. JMHO.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    red pyle chicks are white to a whitish color.

Your chicks will be black- females will be black and males will be black with some red in the pyle zone.

Tim

4. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    if the hen chicks are black and the roosters are black with red I think I have 2 little roosters and a hen lol but now that the 3rd has hatched he's chipmunk looking lol no clue what I have lol thanks for the replies [​IMG]

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:there are other variations that could exist based on what your "Blacks" really are. It easy to get a black bird even though neither parent bird was black. So if you are seeing color other than Black your black colored bird may not have been breed from two black birds.
    Red pyle is based on Dom. White and I will agree that if it was a male RP then there should be red leakage in the hackle.

6. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Quote:there are other variations that could exist based on what your "Blacks" really are. It easy to get a black bird even though neither parent bird was black. So if you are seeing color other than Black your black colored bird may not have been breed from two black birds.
    Red pyle is based on Dom. White and I will agree that if it was a male RP then there should be red leakage in the hackle.

Red pyle can actually be based on Splash as in BB Red(sport), Dom. White, Rec. White... or any combinations of the three. And technically Breeding Reccesive Withe for leakage... Red Pyle, then mating it with black would produce black with of course leakage from daddy.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

Red pyle can actually be based on Splash as in BB Red(sport), Dom. White, Rec. White... or any combinations of the three. And technically Breeding Reccesive Withe for leakage... Red Pyle, then mating it with black would produce black with of course leakage from daddy.

you forgot about Homzygous Dun(I^D/I^D, its believe that Dun enhance red instead of diluting it like Dom. white/Blue )... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

are you working with recessive white pyles? I have yet to see a leaky recessive white bird...

8. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    My White cubalayas which are from a line that started with a sport from the BB Reds(recessive white), were bred to my BB Reds for fun and about 1/3 of the chicks came out Red Pyle with decent color. sorry about the pure leaky part as mine are from a cross over BB red. But my origional white male had extreme brassiness, which i believe was from leakage, and when that white was bred to a white hen i got one girll that came out with an almost Red Shouldered color as in Yoks... very interesting.

Zach

9. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You can have a bird that for the most part appears very similar to a Red Pyle, from the Blue red splash, however I have never seen a Blue Red splash that did not have considerable tattle tales of its heritage through either black or blue leakage.
    You could also have a bird that for teh most part looks Red pyle and be based on rec. white which would be easier to duplicate in the male than the female.

A Red Pyle OEGB is wild type partridge with Dom. white.

The point was and is simple, if he is seeing color other than black from the mating and with multiple chickdown patterns and colors one or both parent birds of the black involved was not black or at a minimum a cross of another variety itself.

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I believe Red Pyles are based on WildType gold Duckwing(e+), while a wildtype(meaning no other gene affecting its look) Partridge rooster can look like a RedPyle, hens don't look like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by