"Red Ranger" Broiler from McMurray - Feed Conversion Ratio?

DenverBird

Songster
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
West Denver Burbs
I've been really pleased with the "Red Ranger" broilers from McMurray so far but have to stock up on feed for their last 6 weeks. I asked McMurray about their FCR and they said it's 2. This seems a bit optimistic to me as even the "Label Rouge" breed from Hubbard has a FCR of 2.7 to 3.0 at 12 weeks.

I'd love it if these guys have a 2.0 FCR but it seems too good to be true. For example, they each ate 4.75 lbs feed from arrival through 5 weeks when I guess they weighed about 2 lbs each. And if their consumption is only going to increase and FCR become less efficient, it seems they'll come in at a LOT higher FCR than 3 or so.

Anyone have experience with "Red Ranger" Broiler from McMurray and have an idea what the FCR is?

Thanks!

-DB

Can't wait to see how it comes out for you. I kept good records for my CX's but I haven't kept good records for my current red and black broilers.

They were great. I just checked my calcs for how much feed we gave them as the next batch just arrived and we're lining up a feed buy. After 12 weeks we butchered the McMurray birds.

Birds arrived about August 10, butchered on Nov 3 (I think, the Alabama -LSU game was that night...)

Total feed per bird: 21.7 lbs
Average weight per bird: 4.2 lbs dressed, not including livers, gizzards etc.

If using the carcass weight it was a 5.2 FCR.

Not great FCR but they're tasty!

-DB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom