1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Ranger Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimismurf, May 3, 2015.

1. kimismurf

kimismurf Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    Randleman, NC
    I got these chicks one week and 2 days ago. I believe they are about 2 weeks old. When I got them they were all the same as far as growth goes. Now it is very noticeable that one of them isn't developing at the same rate as the other two in the feather department. The wings and tail are most noticeable. This makes me think this one is a cock. What do you guys think? Is this guy a cock or a hen.

2. kimismurf

May 2, 2015
    Randleman, NC
    Silly me, I forgot to include the picture.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So far, they all look like pullets.

4. chick fire

chick fire Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    tn
    I think rooster

5. kimismurf

May 2, 2015
    Randleman, NC
    They are all the same age. Is it normal for one to grow so much slower if they are the same sex?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're looking like pullets to me so far, too.

7. msisco389

msisco389 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2015
    Sussex, NJ
    I had three red ranger chicks, one was very large but didn't grow feathers as fast as the other two, especially his tail, he had a short stubby tail while the other two grew very long tails. He ended up being the rooster and the other two hens. They are about 8 weeks now.
    The one other rooster I got out of the six was an Australorp and same thing, he grew feathers much slower than the two Australorp hens and had a much shorter tail that young. Their tales are about even now and same feather coverage but now you can tell in their combs, but that young I would say feather growth was pretty good rule of thumb for me

8. msisco389

msisco389 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2015
    Sussex, NJ
    [​IMG] Here's the rooster and one of the hens now
    [​IMG] here was the rooster the first week
    [​IMG] And this was that same hen the first week, you can clearly see the feather growth was already so much faster at that point

9. kimismurf

May 2, 2015
    Randleman, NC
    That is exactly how mine have been growing. Thank you[​IMG]

10. machinfarm

machinfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Weatherford, TX
    I got a straight run of 14 red rangers and had the same question when they were about 2 weeks. Exactly half of them had long wing and tail feathers while the other half were still fluffy butts with short wing feathers. I was just told chickens all grow at their own rates. Well now that they are 6 weeks old (and after losing one that died of fright during a thunderstorm!) we very obviously have 6 boys and 7 girlies, so I think the wing growth was in fact indicative of sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by