Red Ranger/Freedom Ranger/ Red Broilers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barrettdrka, Feb 17, 2013.

1. barrettdrka

barrettdrka Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Hey-

So my wife and I are debating whether to attempt incubating some eggs from some red ranger broilers we did not cull. We are wondering if they will come out as their parents have- red rangers, or do they not cross well? The hens are some of our most prolific layers and we would love it if we did not have to buy meat birds, but instead keep a trio on hand to furnish our meat bird supply.

Any suggestions/help would really be appreciated!

Thanks

The Barretts

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As i understand it, they are a cross so won't breed true. Of course you could still get a good eating bird, and a good layer as well. I'd suggest you check out our Meat Birds forum. I'm sure someone has let them breed and hatch.

3. barrettdrka

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks! I think we are going to give it a test run and see what results we get

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    What would be the difference between what you have and what the "Freedom Rangers" sell on the advertised link at the bottom of this page?

5. barrettdrka

Nov 26, 2011
    From what I was told-- they are the same. They are a cross between a RIR and a Golden Comet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by