1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Ranger raising from start to finish (in pictures)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CoopDeViIIe, Aug 9, 2013.

1. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    I ordered a batch of Red Ranger meat chicks back in May from Moyer's. They were all cockerals. Here is their week to week growth in pictures.

[​IMG]

Subject A at 1 week old.

[​IMG]

Subject A at 2 weeks old

[​IMG]

Subject A at 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Subject A at 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Subject A at 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Subject A at 6 weeks.

[​IMG]

Subject A at 7 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I added a new test subject because Subject A was looking below the average size of the group. Here they are at 8 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both Subjects at 9 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both Subjects at 10 weeks old.

I slaughtered before they reached 11 weeks. I didn't lose a single bird, no one got sick, all the carcasses were nice and healthy. I raised them in a tractor.

[​IMG]

Average dress out weight was 5lbs. I think I prefer these over the CornishX. They took 2 weeks extra to grow out, but they ate less anyway, so the actual feed usage is about the same. Much more active and healthy than the CornishX were for me under the same conditions.

1 person likes this.
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Wow, thank you for the detailed time line and results! I will be getting my first order of Freedom Rangers in early September and am curious how they differ from the usual Cornish X. I tried 2 small batches of Cornish X this spring with mixed results. The first group did wonderfully, the second group not so much.

3. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    This sounds great! When I get a bigger patch of grass for my chickens I will be raising these birds! All I want is a 5-6lb carcass so I'd probably raise until 12 weeks just to bring up an smaller birds to size. How many lbs of feed did you go through per bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by