1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Ring? Candling/Research Confusion

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHenry, Nov 4, 2014.

1. AHenry

AHenry Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    SC, USA
    My Coop
    Originally posted this to the wrong place. I hope I am posting it to the right place, now.

My family raised chickens (among many other animals) when I was a child. If the hens wouldn't stay put, we would use an incubator. However, we never "candled" them.

Long story short...I am finally back in the countryside, where I belong, and returning to the homesteader lifestyle of my roots.

So anyway, now that I am incubating chicks, again, I decided I wanted to try candling.
    We had a batch of 16, but they are probably dead due to an accidental bump of the temp to 109.8°. Then our area hit a random cold spell. 2 nights into the spell (mid-upper 30's) we found 16 more eggs under my car! I brought them in, and let them come to room temp. Then slowly up to the incubator temp. During this process, I labeled, and candled each one. I wasn't sure if they would be dead due to the cold or unknown age. Nearly every one of them had a red ring in it. I googled it. Every source says bad egg, but the pics on those sites show a red ring around the whole egg. Mine had a ring the size of the ring on my finger floating in them, yesterday. This morning the ring looked like a red spiderweb. Tonight they have what looks like a tiny shrimp tail in them. Then, in my research, I read about bad eggs exploding. (Which never happened to ours back in the day.)

So my question...is this more likely to be the development process or the decay process?
    I am not sure if I should be sad they are dead, fearful that they may be "bombs", or excited that they are alive. LoL

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. AHenry

AHenry Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    SC, USA
    My Coop
    Update time! The previous batch of 16 were taken out lastnight. They had a greenish hue through their tan shells when candled.
    We opened them, compared their development with a video on the Hatchabatch fb page. Then checked my records. It is confirmed they died on the day of the accidental temperature bump. :(
    Of the batch of 16 left found under my car during the coldspell, 9 are showing signs of life. 7 have a different looking red ring than the one they all had before. This red ring is closer to the shell and much larger. The fetuses are stunted and show no signs of life. I believe this to be the red ring of death.

The 9 from this batch are more lively than any from the previous batch. :)

Now for the scary part...today is moving day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by