Red Roost Inn - An old style hen house tractor -PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickBond 007, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    We have spent a week working on a chicken-tractor. I was intrigued by the "old style hen house" coop built by Steve on this message board, and decided I'd like to have a miniature.

We began with an 8' X 8' square frame.
    [​IMG]

We framed in the "hen house" portion 3' wide inside the frame. We covered the floor of the hen house with hardware cloth.
    [​IMG]

We added gate doors in various places. One to let the chickens out easily to free range and shoe them back in. One on the top to easily lower food/water. One near the doorway of the henhouse for access. The roof is also removable for access.
    [​IMG]

We framed in the hen house with a slant roof, added "window" openings covered with hardware cloth for ventilation and to achieve the look of an old style hen house.
    [​IMG]

We put 4 roosts (2X4) inside.
    [​IMG]

We hinged and latched the various gates/openings. We added chicken wire over the run.
    [​IMG]

Here's our finished product.
    [​IMG]

We still need to add wheels to move the tractor, but that will happen later this summer. I put the cornish x's outside in it tonight.

I plan on using this tractor for not only the meat chickens periodically, but also for isolation or breeding as necessary.

What do you think??

2. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Great job. Looks like you had a little father and son time also, thats even better.

3. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice! [​IMG]

4. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Yes, it was a father-son-son project with me as the supervisor and treat-deliverer. They did a nice job. They begin on the coop this weekend, 12 X 16. I'm really excited even if my 5 week old hens are not yet.

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    what type of wood did you use cause i want to make somethin like that

6. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    We used 1x2 pine for framing, the 1/4 plywood is pine also I believe. The roosts inside are actually 2x3 boards, leftovers from building the house. The wire and the latches cost as much as the wood which surprised me. We hoped it would be light, but it's still heavy enough that we need wheels.
    If you need more pics, PM me and I can send them to you. We have a lot of gated openings, and you might not need so many. We also thought about hinging the roof, and that might still happen.

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I really like it. I will have to show this one to my husband.

8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    cool i think i may build that for a inbetween or Quarentine area.

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Great job---love the red!!

That would taken ME A WHOLE MONTH TO BUILD!![​IMG]

10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I love the red as well. That is a really cool coop.

I was thinking about ordering an arc tractor for my 3 little banties however, after seeing yours, I think it would fair better in the Pacific NW because of the rain.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. If you get a chance, could you give a basic supply list for us girls with limited skill?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by