Red rooster and his friend the hen - what breed are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Sep 23, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My husband picked a trio of birds up at an auction thinking he was getting me three laying hens ( he wasn't paying attention and it wasn't one of the cages I said I would want [​IMG] )

Anyhow it was two young roosters and a crossbeak hen. They are nice birds, "full grown" but not filled out yet. I'm going to sell the two roosters and need to know what breed to tell people. I really like this cross beak hen - she has spitfire. We were trying to come up with a name that started with an "X" because of the cross beak and she has become Xena Warrior Princess. All three have white legs.

Both roosters look like this :

[​IMG]

And this is Xena:

[​IMG]

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I would say the roos are New Hampshires and the hens a Bufff Orpington.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Well, since you don't know what breed they are and they are likely mixed, I'd just advertise them as red roosters [​IMG]

It's one thing to want to know what to call your backyard birds when people ask and another to advertise a bird for sale as something it is not.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The male is a cross (legs wrong color for a New Hamp) the female is a Buff Orpington.

5. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree on the female. Could the males be red Sussex? If you rub their feathers the wrong way, you would see a bluish underfeathering characteristic of Sussex. Otherwise I'd say cross.

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

The pullet does look like a Buff Orpington. Given the light legs on the male, I'd guess he might be an Orpington mix, but that is ONLY a guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by