1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Rooster or Hen? 5 months

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aaryno, May 9, 2016.

1. Rooster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hen

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. aaryno

aaryno New Egg

May 9, 2016
    We are new to chickens and have four. This one started making crowing noises. They are approximately 5 months old. This one doesn't hang out with the other three as much, and seems a bit smaller. I'd be grateful for ideas on the other breeds. I can post more pictures, of course, but maybe it would be better in another thread? Brand new to BYC, too :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - the red bird is a pullet - perhaps a red leghorn. The third picture shows her and a gold laced Wyandotte. Second icture is her and perhaps a buff orpington (leg color is off) and perhaps an Easter egger.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2 she might of been singing her egg song?

4. aaryno

aaryno New Egg

May 9, 2016
    Thanks for the breed ID! Buff Orpington sounds right -- I know Ace Hardware (where we got them) sometimes have those. Fun little chickens so far!

I don't know about the egg song. First time chicken owner. I had read that roosters start to make some weird noises before they start crowing but today the Wyandotte is also clucking, so it seems like the red doesn't stand out so much anymore.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chillin' With My Peeps

x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by