Red rounded up his girls for the night.

ChksontheRun

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Central Virginia
3-4 nights a week, I let the chickens roam around the yard for a few hours. I wont let them out alone for fear of predators as we have fox and raccoon and possum. So my Red, a BO 16 weeks old started crowing regularly about 2 weeks ago. Tonight I saw the first sign of really dominant roo behavior. As it was getting dark, Red was rounding up the girls. If anyone stayed outside his little tightening circle of chickens, he would walk right up to them and give them a good bite in the back of the neck. Of course they would run for the coop, thus tightening the little circle. When about half of the girls were in the pen, heading up the ramp to the coop, he started doing it to all of the girls outside of the pen, one by one chasing them in for the night. The 2 sexlinks that tend to be outside of the group and wander more bore the brunt of his protective attention, but no real injury occurred. After all of the girls were securely in the coop, little Red, calmly wandered into the coop so I could shut the door.

Being a noob in the chicken world, I am fascinated with watching the community behavior of my chickens.

51517_june_19_024.jpg

Now, the only thing that would make life in my little corner of the world better is........Rain!

Last edited:
I have a sweet little miniature fancy RIR rooster. When he hears or sees a bird flying over head (usually a hawk or valture or crow or something like that) he crows, calling the hens together, runs under the stairs into the coop, crows, calling the hens over there, once all of the hens are over he pushes the in a single-file line up the stairs and into the coop... then crows again! he is so addorible... and small, but I love him still
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom