red sex link and black sex link winter hardy

godisgood

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
Are rsl and bsl hardy in the winter? Do they still lay like a lot of eggs in winter? Every few years it gets -10 - -20 fahrenheit in my area, but only for a couple days. Average winter temp is 20 f.

Last edited:
I have BSL and RSL they are laying great for me. But...sigh... I'll admit I heat my coop. Just enough to keep their water from freezing. I feel bad for them so I heat the coop. I don't think they care because they spend most their time outside anyway.

I have RSL and I see a drop in production when we get a cold snap here. but in general mine have done well with the highs in mid 20's usually I have about 90-95% productivity in the summer and I will have 80% or so in the winter. cold snaps affect the next few days but they are better winter layers than my Orps(most or the time). I do feed 16 percent feed in the summer and they free range and I feed them 18% in the winter and they Free range.

Nate

Quote:
I probably would not breed game into a sex link. If you cross a Bsl hen with something it most likely will not produce as good as the first original cross. A Bsl cross is a RIR Rooster X Barred Rock Hen.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom