red sex link and black sex link winter hardy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by godisgood, Jan 4, 2012.

1. godisgood

godisgood Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Are rsl and bsl hardy in the winter? Do they still lay like a lot of eggs in winter? Every few years it gets -10 - -20 fahrenheit in my area, but only for a couple days. Average winter temp is 20 f.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I have BSL and RSL they are laying great for me. But...sigh... I'll admit I heat my coop. Just enough to keep their water from freezing. I feel bad for them so I heat the coop. I don't think they care because they spend most their time outside anyway.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have RSL and I see a drop in production when we get a cold snap here. but in general mine have done well with the highs in mid 20's usually I have about 90-95% productivity in the summer and I will have 80% or so in the winter. cold snaps affect the next few days but they are better winter layers than my Orps(most or the time). I do feed 16 percent feed in the summer and they free range and I feed them 18% in the winter and they Free range.

Nate

4. deepakdavid90

deepakdavid90 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Mukerian,Punjab,India
    I have one Bsl hen she is laying daily I want to have more
    what kind of breed I would get if I cross Asil cock x Bsl hen

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't get quite that cold here, but our RSL's have had some of their best days when it was colder.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've kept both, am keeping both, in weather that cold and colder. They do fine. Some of the RSLs have rather tight feathering which isn't my preferred feathering for cold weather, but they seem to get along just fine.

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:I probably would not breed game into a sex link. If you cross a Bsl hen with something it most likely will not produce as good as the first original cross. A Bsl cross is a RIR Rooster X Barred Rock Hen.

Nate

8. Quote:yes, but depending on where you are your lowest winter temp is 32f but most likely averages 45f and that is if you live up north by the mountains. The op wants to know about temps around 20f

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by