red sex link chick looks like a RIR chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by northerncaliforniachick, May 5, 2009.

1. northerncaliforniachick

northerncaliforniachick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    Hi everyone- I'm very new at this. Last week I got a Rhode Island Red chick and a Black Australorp. Today I bought a Barred Rock chick and a Red sex link chick.
    My Red Sex link looks just like my RIR did last week- do they look very similiar at birth? The pictures I've seen show RSL's looking more reddish. Are there variations?
    Any input would be great!
    thanks!

2. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    can you post a pic of each bird?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Yes they do look very similar, but if you put them side by side, the RSL will have more of a cinnamon tint to it than the RIR. You will really see the difference later.

4. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:Yep.

5. northerncaliforniachick

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    thanks for the replies. I actually took mine back to switch it, thinking the RSL should be darker red (like I've seen in pictures). They sent me home with my same chick, telling me that RIRs are more red/darker than the RSLs. The thing is that my RIR I got last week looks JUST LIKE the RSL I bought today. O-well. I was set on having 4 different breeds, but it really isnt a big deal if I get 2 of one breed [​IMG]
    Whatever my chicky breeds are, they are very sweet and will get lots of love.
    Thanks again for the help [​IMG]

6. NanaJune

NanaJune Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    I have RIRs and RSLs. They look so similar it is very confusing at first. However, the RSLs will get much lighter as they get older and will begin to have streaks of goldish and white colors especially around their necks and along their outer wing edges and tails. What will really tell the difference is that your RSL will start laying at about 14 weeks of age instead of 20 to 24! My RSLs were hatched on January 2, and I began getting pullet eggs two weeks ago![​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My red sexlink pullet was always lighter than her brothers, despite the fact that I thought they were all RIR's.
    As she feathered out it became apparent that she was not RIR.

(need to change my siggy line come to think of it)

8. northerncaliforniachick

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    wow- there are so much variations! A week ago I didnt know a single breed of chicken, now I think I'm becoming an expert [​IMG]
    time will tell...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by