Red Sex link chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jamesgelliott, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jamesgelliott

jamesgelliott New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    I have 3 red sex link hens and a Rhode Island rooster. I have tried to incubate 3 different batches but none of them produced any chicks. Because they are a hybrid, are red sex link hens sterile?

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Ive hatched out eggs from those hens so im not sure why they wont hatch. Is the cockerel mating properley? How old is he?? Did you try hatch them out with an incubator or hen?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The reasons for failure are multiple. First, determine if the eggs are fertile. Look for the "bulls-eye". There are threads here with great photography, showing what to look for.

Then, if you find your eggs are indeed fertile, you'll have to work on the incubation process, eliminating the mistakes.

Of course red sex links can be bred. We've bred them for years.

4. jamesgelliott

jamesgelliott New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks for the responses.

Since the rooster has been mounting the 3 hens, maybe, he's shooting blanks.

I've hatched out multiple batches before in my incubator but I've never had a 100% failure rate like with the 3 previous batches. I've never hatched out a batch from my current rooster, so he may be the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by