Red Sex-link from TSC in PA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickendancers4, Apr 1, 2012.

1. chickendancers4

chickendancers4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Schwenksville, PA
    My husband & I went to our local TSC yesterday and picked up 16 3day old Red Sex-link pullets. The area where the birds were kept was fenced off. We looked through the different bins and all the chicks looked healthy and chipper. The sales person let us pick out the chicks we wanted. We are new to chicken raising & we have done a lot of research and reading (BYC is a great HELP). We set up the brooder with the heat lamp to warm it up the temp has been in the high 80's around 84-85. When we got home we put the girls in the brooder and set up the water and feeder. They are a riot to watch. They all seem chipper and active.They sleep in small groups, not to close together & not to spread apart. They are eating & drinking. My only concern is a few of them have dried poo on their bottoms! What do I do with that? Should I clean it off or let it fall off? They are not "stopped up" they are still pooping. We were very happy with our experience at TSC. My husband now has to finish the coop![​IMG][​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad you are enjoying the chicks. We call it "pasty butt" and cleaning it off before it stops up is a good idea. Use some damp paper towel to soften the dried poop to help with removal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by