1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Golden Comet, Red Star...same breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lilbirdee, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    So are the Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Red Star & Golden Comet just different names for the same breed?
    I have a 7 week old pullet and was told that it was a Golden Sex-Link.

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    yes, same breed. Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, Red Stars, etc...are all a name for Red Sex-Links. Just like with Black Sex-links, they can be called Black Stars. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes, most of the time its the same breed, but there are different birds that can be crossed to make these Red Sex Links.

4. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Pretty much!

5. joeman2041

joeman2041 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Here's what I've heard. A Red Star, at least from Murray McMurray is a cross between a Rhode Island Red, a New Hampshire, and a White Leghorn. As for the process -- beats me. Does anyone have any other information?

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    All are names of production bred brown egg layers. They are different strains develped by different breeders. I raise ISA Browms. They are bred by Hendrics.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

While they are all red x white, they are not the same. Almost as many "recipes" or "formulas" as there are hatcheries.

Go here to the genetics company, just one genetics company, and you'll see a half dozen "mixes". There is also HyLine Genetics, a different corporation. It is not true that they are all the same.

http://www.hendrix-genetics.com/sitecore/content/ISApoultry/Products.aspx

* ISA
    * Shaver
    * Hisex
    * Dekalb
    * Bovans
    * Babcock

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

BTW, they are also not a breed. They are hybrids. The use of the term breed is also incorrect.

1 person likes this.
  9. nancyinwashpa

nancyinwashpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I just spoke with a farmer who is selling pullets. She recommends Sex-link Golden Comets, a cross between Rhode Islands/Delaware. Hardy birds and she thinks they may get along with my one stray/adopted guinea cock. He showed up on my farm with his mate and she was killed when she was brooding-not uncommon from what I have studied. I am waiting to spring-time to get some keets so I may train them myself. Have a chicken coop coming tomorrow, farmer said to keep the pullets in for 2-3 days, then they will know where to come back to. Any suggestions? I am a horse girl who is trying to make my guinea-Henri-happy. I am in SW PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by