Red sex link had egg stuck in vent - keeps laying soft eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyFrancesca, Aug 28, 2013.

1. MyFrancesca

MyFrancesca Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    My red sex link was puffed up, walking slow, had yellow discharge coming from her vent and wasn't interested in eating. I read online it was possibly an egg or soft shelled egg stuff. I put on some gloves and braved the idea of doing things to my chicken I never imagined. Quickly I realized she wasn't having it and I didn't know what to do. So I felt her belly area toward the vent, rubbed it a bit, and moved the area around gently in hopes whatever was stuck would work its way out. I went in the house to get a flashlight and came back out to the coop and there on the ground was a soft shelled egg under where she stood on the roost.
    Whew!!!!!!! I am so relieved.
    But now I'm fearful this may be an issue for her. Someone keeps laying soft shelled eggs. I provide them layer crumble with calcium and a side of oyster shells. I also feed them their own egg shells. What would be causing her to continue laying soft shell eggs? They have only been laying for about a month.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

She's obviously getting enough calcium from the feed and supplements, or one would think so.

Thus, we have a egg shell production problem, not a lack of calcium problem. She just isn't processing the calcium and isn't forming a shell. Perhaps she'll out grow this and all system will become go. That's about all you can hope for at this point.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes a new layer will lay shell-less eggs when they are starting. She should start laying normally. Many people will have soft-shelled eggs and not know it because they are usually scarfed up by the chickens before you find them. Occasionally older chickens will do this. If it is an everyday thing later, then you would need to decide if you will keep her.

4. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    It just happens once in a while

5. MyFrancesca

MyFrancesca Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks all. They're my first flock so it's heart breaking to think something could possibly go wrong or I could lose her. Hopefully this is the one and only time. I'm just thankful I'm so observant. Who knows what could've happened had I not paid attention to her lack of interest today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by