Red sex link health issues

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Big yellow, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Big yellow

Big yellow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Hi,

One of my chickens, a red sex link, is about to start laying eggs. I've done some research, and it looks like these chickens can develop alot health issues, such as internal laying. I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information about this bird.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Issues such as internal laying do not depend on breed but on chicken. Make sure they have lots of extra calcium, water and the correct feed.

3. Big yellow

Apr 24, 2014
    Alright. Should I mix the oyster shells into the food or give it to them seperatly?

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Feeding it separately allows the bird to decide what it does/doesn't need or want to take in at any particular time - whereas mixing it in with the fed results in a less controlled (by the bird) intake. I prefer the former.

5. Big yellow

Apr 24, 2014
    Alright, thanks. I'll make sure to pick up another bowl.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yes, put the oyster shell in a separate dish.

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    My (3) RSL are 2 1/2 years old now. They have had some egg laying issues but have been great chickens.

[​IMG]

8. BYChickies

BYChickies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Carlisle, MA
    I have a Red Sex Link I bought as a 6mo pullet and she was a great egg producer until she entered her first molt at just before 2 years of age. After that or during the tail end of that (wasn't a molt like my other hens though!) which coincided with longer days here in MA, March of this year, she started laying eggs with shells so soft they "splat" and she'd drop them in the run area or from the roost and very occasionally in the box. Now she is at the point where she might lay 3 good eggs in 3 days and then stop laying, then lay a teeny tiny but fully formed egg, then splat eggs then back to a good egg or two. She is definitely NOT thriving. I don't like the shape of her poop either and it has a foul smell but I am at a loss as to what the problem is. My 3 other hens are super healthy and look it. She looks to me like she is failing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by