Red Sex-Link Hen - Are they Red & white or black? Pic Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlickin8, Feb 6, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I am a little confused..... I am ordering from Ideal and they have Golden Sex Links (RIR Red Rooster X RIR White Hen) and Red Sex Links (RIR Red Rooster X Delaware Hen). They picture the Golden as light tan with white tips and the Red as red with black tips. I thought Red Sex Links are the pretty red and white chickens I see out there??? Red with black tips looks like a normal RIR to me. THANKS!

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have a red sex link. She's red, white, small like my leghorn, and lays HUGE BROWN EGGS. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Different hatcheries use different birds for their crosses and call them by different names. Some call them red sex-links, some have reds and goldens, some call them cinnamon queens or other names. Basically, all sex links are bred for the ability to sex them at hatch and for egg-laying. If you want the red birds with white tips, order golds from ideal, cinnamons from cackle, or red stars from McMurray, etc. Many people refer to a bird that is red with some white as a red sex-link while an all red bird with some black might be called a production red.

4. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:THANKS! That makes sense. I'm hoping the red sex link I ordered will be red & white. I'll let you know [​IMG]

5. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    My red sex-links are a paler red, with some underlaying white feathers and some small black specks around their collars (typically.)
    They are McMurray Red-Stars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by