Red sex link hen laid this tumor or egg tissue? Lash or egg roll?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by velittlechik, Feb 18, 2013.

1. velittlechik

velittlechik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Idabel, OK
    This morning when cleaning off the dropping board I found this flesh colored clump and I cut it open. I think the hen that laid it is possibly the one that lays eggs without the shell from the roost sometimes. They may have a bit of thin membrane but thats about it. A couple of weeks ago she acted very droopy and I gave all of them antibiotics and electrolytes in case it was contagious but she came around after about 3 days and then started molting. Now today I found this I cut it open to see and we think it may be egg shells wrapped around each other. It smelled weird too not very strong though.
    Gross!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    hmmm... is it soft or hard?

3. velittlechik

velittlechik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Idabel, OK
    kind of rubbery but soft.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That looks like what could have turned into egg yolk peritonitis. I think you got very lucky... Keep an eye on her.

5. NothernChick

NothernChick Out Of The Brooder

I just found one in my coop. Same thing. I think it came from a bird who was laying shift shells then stopped completely. Did you ever find out what it is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by