red sex link hen or production rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cpartis, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cpartis

cpartis Hatching

Apr 10, 2009
    I just recently got a red sex link hen to add to my lil flock of two - another red sex and a buff orpington. So now I have 3 - and (supposedly) two red sex link hens. but after getting a new red lady and seeing them side by side, one of my friends said my original red (panama red, we call her) is probably a production red... and possibly a rooster! I thought she was for sure a hen since she's sex linked.. just a more developed hen, on the verge of popping out eggs. She is a tad more assertive than the others, but I figured its b/c she's just the big mama of the bunch. She's supposed to be 18 weeks, which (if she's a hen) means she should lay soon. If she were a roo wouldn't she have a lot more gobble happening by now? Also, the new sex link lady is supposed to be 17 weeks.

Notice the 2 reds: the tailfeathers look a little different, my original (panama red) is darker and bigger with more orange feet... yet the markings overall are pretty darn similar.

pictures:

http://www.brodyisms.com/red/chickens.html

So... big mama sex link or production red roo??

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

sex links are probably the easiest to tell apart if she is a roo she will have a lot of white if its a hen she will have very little white. so I believe its a female.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    She has white feathers in her tail and wings, so she is a red sexlink. Production reds would have black markings in the tail and wings.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I agree... she is a RSL pullet

5. stormylady

stormylady Songster

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Girl, she looks like my peaches! very pretty I think![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: