Red Sex link Layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by [email protected], Apr 14, 2009.

1. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    The Sex Links that are bred for egg laying??

Does anybody know what they cross/breed to get the Sex Link layers??

2. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    Rhode island red to Rhode island white or delawares for red sex-links.

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I found this:
    Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

1. Buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White)
    2. Red with White or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen)
    3. Red with Red undercolor (Delaware x Production Red) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color.)

at feathersite.com.​

4. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Thank ya much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by