Red sex link males for meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Beka123, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Well I thought I'd ask the question after I already went and did the deed... I have 10 red sex link male chicks that I bought for processing... Has anyone ever eaten RSLs? It was truly an impulse buy, a CL seller was selling them for 50c apiece... So how long will it be till they get heavy enough to process?

... And also, just this evening (had them for 2 weeks now?) I was running low on chicken feed, I looked at the bag to know what to buy again, and I just realized that I have been feeding them ...laying crumbles... :/? Seriously!! It had never donned in me that there were diff. types of feed, and I was recommended "crumbles" by the lady I got my silkies from. When I went to atwoods, not a soul in sight, couldn't find anyone at all to help, so I just (ashamed to say) got huffy and mad and grabbed a bag and bought it. Come to find out the bag reads "laying crumbles, ideal for laying hens over 22 weeks."

What have I done! I guess it won't kill them bc they're all still alive and kicking but what do I need to do to get them back on track? I've just given them a tortilla, boiled egg yolk, and some halved grapes, hoping to help them somehow...?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We've done them at about 18 weeks. They are fairly typical of a dual purpose. You are not going to get a Red Ranger or CX carcass, of course.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

While I might have preferred to feed them more of a lower calcium, higher protein feed to finish meat birds out, I would recommend you finish them on a 20% type All Flock, or Flock Raiser type feed.

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I was wondering about these guys. I am going to be breeding these and know I will end up with quite a few cockerels.
    You haven't hurt them in any way, LOL.. If I were you I would feed them a broiler feed that's high in protein.. They will be just fine.. They are meat birds so you don't have anything to worry about.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    you know breeding sex link ...they will no longer be sex link.

6. Beka123

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I am not breeding sex links, I have 10 little males, no females, an I bought them for eating. Thanks again everyone!

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    i know it was Jessica that said breeding them

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I did 7 sex link boys last year at around 6 months. They weren't as big as the CX roos but they still had plenty of breast meat and were tasty. The major difference I noticed was that they have a little claw up on their wings kind of like a spur but not as long. The CX don't have that.

9. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest

Yes I do know that.. I am well aware of how to breed them. I have a RR rooster and barred rock hens and when you breed the two of them you have a black sex link.. Correct???

10. Beka123

Jan 31, 2012
    Oh a spur on the wing? That is strange! I'm glad to hear they taste good, these little guys will be my first home-grown chicken meal ever, I've got some pretty high hopes for them!

Does anyone know how to get chicken strips from them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by