red sex link mixed with specaled Sussex?

wbjeggs

Hatching
Feb 9, 2016
Knoxville tn
I have a specaled Sussex rooster and a red sex link hen . Does anyone know what I could end up with ? Some pictures would be awesome. Or can this even be done ?

welcome-byc.gif

Sure it can be done, but the results aren't going to be very spectacular color wise. That pretty speckling on the rooster is recessive, so none of his offspring will express it when he's bred to a non-speckled hen
sad.png
. His base color is mahogany, so basically you're breeding two red birds together. The hen will likely contribute some white coloring, so you'll end up with mostly red and red/white offspring. The white skin of the Sussex is usually dominate, and the offspring will have straight combs. Egg production will be better than a Sussex, but not as stellar as the sex link mommas.

About the same. If the EE are brown, you'll have brown/red offspring. Beards and muffs are usually dominant, so they carry down. If the EE lay blue eggs, the pullets will lay a blue/green egg. If the EE lay green eggs, you'll have a chance of either blue/green or brown/cream eggs.

If your EE hens are silver colored, you could make sex link chicks, with the pullets being brown/gold and the cockerels being silver.

This is my white easter egger ( kiki) and my red star (sweetie pie ) ! Any help on what there chicks could be like with the pictures? This is my first rodeo so if you can help advise me on what to do . I was just figuring to just mark 3 eggs and leaving them in the nest . I only way a few more chickens of course hens .

Back
Top Bottom