Red sex link not sexed right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chris10sen, Jul 9, 2010.

1. chris10sen

chris10sen In the Brooder

May 30, 2010
    So I bought two red star sex linked from MPC to ensure that we have at least two hens. But boy, one of my red star is the bravest of the bunch and she seems to be getting her comb in faster than everyone else. Am I being peranoid? Obviously I am brand new to chickens. I really don't know much about Red Stars. Any advice would be great.

I am loving being a chicken momma....

Lisa

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Is she red like the other one? RSL roosters are white or cream colored with red patches over their shoulders. She is probably just dominant, they mature really fast, and are a more aggressive breed...

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    How Many Weeks are they? She could be ready to lay eggs

4. chris10sen

May 30, 2010
    My babies are only 3 weeks old. They were a fuzzy yellow. Now they are getting white wing feathers and batches of darker red feathers here and there. If you go to my page you can see the little yellow fuzzy butts. The pictures are about two weeks old.

Lisa

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  5. theFox

theFox Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
  6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Just give them some time...yes, at 3 weeks, it's a little bit of paranoia...lol That's ok though, we've all been there! [​IMG]

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    If there the same color there the same sex you either have two pullets which Im sure you do or two roosters. sex links are called this because there sexable by color as chicks. [​IMG]

8. chris10sen

May 30, 2010
    Thanks theFox for the photo. After seeing that I have two little girls..Whew.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by