1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sex Link or Rhode Island Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sierranomad, Mar 2, 2015.

1. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    [​IMG]I just got some chicks at TSC. I asked for RIR. But with all that I am hearing about how rare it is to get RIR I'm wondering whether they are RSL.

I searched for images of RIR and RSL pullets and was able to find only RIR. Mine look the same as the RIR I found, EXCEPT mine have black and white wing feathers and this wasn't apparent on the images I saw. One of mine has a dark stripe down its back.

Can anyone tell me what I have? I did a lot of research to come up with wanting RIR and it would be a bit dissappointing to find out that that's not what I got...but oh well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At this age and with this photo it's going to be hard to answer this - however, rather than RSL, it is more likely you would get Production Red being sold as "RIR". If you can get a photo in natural lighting (ie not colored by a red heat light if one is in use - just unplug for a few minutes to snap the photo) it will be easier to see your little ones. You may also want to pick one up to capture the wing feathering you are concerned about.

3. SimplyLogan

SimplyLogan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    I came across the same thing. After mine had grown I had a very hard time telling the difference between my RIR and production reds. After a little research I found that hatcheries often cross their RIR with production reds (red six links types ) to improve on egg production :-/. If I was a betting person you have a mix of the two . My RIR grew up slightly larger and I had to really look to tell who was who . I have been looking for some true RIR .

4. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA

O.K. I will try to get to that this morning...after I roast some coffe and have breakfast. Thank you.

5. SimplyLogan

SimplyLogan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    I had accidently came across it reading hatchery descriptions of their birds. Murray calls their "production" strain (hint hint) and one hatchery refers to those as industrial RIR (cackle hatchery claims to sell the heritage, pure RIR). Some hatcheries never mention there being a difference, however may say not 4-H quality but bread for production. There was one hatchery that actually said they were crossed in their description, but I cant find it right now.

6. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Here it is closer up, and with more natural lighting.

[​IMG]

So what's the concensus..Rhode Island Red, Production Red or Red Sex Link, or?

Thank you

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There not Rhode Island Reds. There way to light in color.
    The chances are very good that you will never get real, pure Rhode Island Reds for a hatchery or Farm Store (TSC).

If you want Rhode Island Reds you have to go with a good breeder.

8. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    I don't think it's a Rhode Island Red. It may be a production red. I thought I got a rir from our local feed store but when she grew she was definitely a New Hampshire. I got another 10 weeks ago and she is definitely a rir, you can tell the difference as they feather out. I'll try to post pics.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Production Reds to me. Not pure Rhode Island Reds, as true Rhode Island Reds are a dark mahogany color. Most hatcheries or feed stores sell "Rhode Island Reds" that are really Production Reds. I don't think that they are Red Sex-Links, since Sex-Links usually have more white in the feathers. My Production Red (sold by McMurray Hatchery as a Rhode Island Red) looked very similar to these birds as a chick.

[​IMG]

10. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    [​IMG] My New Hampshire as a chick. [​IMG] Same chicken here!

[​IMG] And here is my 12 week old Rhode Island Red.... I can't find a picture of her as a chick but I'm pretty sure she was much darker as a chick than my New Hampshire.

Hope that helps... you will definitely be able to tell better as she feathers out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by