Red Sex Link or Welsummer? Also, mystery yellow chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ICallMyselfCherie', May 23, 2010.

1. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, everyone! [​IMG]

Well, I've got two chicks here I need some help ID-ing.

#1 is from an abandoned egg that was rescued from a park with tons of chickens in it. Really, it was truly abandoned, along with about ten or fifteen other ice cold eggs, some broken and rotten as though they had all been thrown in there together by some gardeners or landscapers to get them out of the way. Anyway, we took three home and gave them to our broody. Two didn't make it, but we were blown away that one hatched 21 days later!

That one I kept thinking was an EE, but it doesn't have blue legs. And just as I was starting to write this, I felt like a real dummy because I just now remembered it hatched from a plain brown egg, not a coloured egg. [​IMG] What a dummy.

Okay, so #2 is the ONLY one that made it from 12 random eggs sent from MM. We had our same broody silkie sitting on most, a few were in the bator. Slowly we threw out the ones that weren't growing, until we managed to fit all of them under our broody. Unfortunately, when chick #1 hatched because it was set a week sooner, the broody left the nest to go run around with the baby in the wee hours of the morning. All were freezing by the time I found them. We put them all in the bator, but only one made it. It was a brown egg, also. And that's #2!!

Here they are:

#1, day of hatch:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 again, a few days later:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2, day of hatch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now here's #1 and #2, held next to the same 16 oz. water bottle for size comparison. #1 is almost two weeks, but #2 seems almost the same size even though he's only a few hours old!! (Please pardon the world's rattiest ripped jeans.)

#1:
    [​IMG]

#2:
    [​IMG]

In #2's pic above, I think you can see a little bit of the greyish/bluish tinge to the feet. It's hard to capture on camera, but it's definitely there.

Hope you guys know what these are!!! [​IMG]

Thank you in advance!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I'd say #1 is a red sex link.

3. ICallMyselfCherie'

Thank you, guys. [​IMG]

I'm still confused, though . . . [​IMG]

Anyone to break the tie?

4. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    #1 doesn't look at all like my RSLs did, i'd go for Welsummer.
    It does kinda have an EE face. And as is pointed out here often about EEs, they are mutts and can have any color legs and lay any color egg. So that doesn't have to be voted out completely yet.

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I haven't had any RSL, but I did just raise 4 wellies this year...I say wellie girl.

6. ICallMyselfCherie'

Thank you, everybody!! [​IMG]

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick #2 looks like a Buff Orpington to me.

8. ICallMyselfCherie'

Oh, thank you, thank you, tammyd57! I was hoping somebody might take a stab at ID-ing #2! [​IMG]

9. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Lots of breeds have the 'wild' stipped pattern as chicks, could be any of them, most of my wellies have more liner on the face if it is a pb wellie, I would guess roo.
    Don't know about two, but the picture with the water bottle has made me laugh twice this morning, I don't know if I have ever seen a chick that young, look that mad!!!! lmao

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by