1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sex Link Production

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Orpygal, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Orpygal

Orpygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    I have an opportunity to get some RSL pullets next month but don't know much about htem. I think they are crossed w/RIR's most times so should I assume they lay as well? I'm just looking for egg producers...hatching and looks don't matter.
    Thanks

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They are a deliberate hybrid for excellent egg production. [​IMG]

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Mine were the best egg layers I have had. I had golden comets RIR X RIW and they lay extra large, really jumbo eggs. I only have 1 left of my original 3. She is 4 1/2 years old next month and she lays as the exact same amount of eggs a week as my almost 1 year old BO that is 4 eggs per week. In her prime well I got her when she was 1 1/2 and for about a year and a half I got 6 eggs per week. I really recomend them if you want lots of big brown eggs.

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Our golden comets are reliable nearly egg-a-day layers. Six to 6.5 eggs per week per bird on average is not at all unusual with them.

They're also more people-friendly than anything else we have. My seven year old girl has a favorite that she carries about like a rag doll.

5. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Ditto what others have said- great egg production and great personalities. My favorite CHICKENS (Well except for the Ameraucana "Pretty Girl" I got from Chickygal). You'll enjoy them for sure. Keystonepaul

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yes I forgot to mention they are super friendly. Had a hawk scare and mine ran a long ways to neighbors house.

I thought she was gone. Neighbor knew where she belonged and he said he just picked her up and brought her home.

Only chickens I have had that are friendlier are BO's and they don't lay near as well. At least mine don't. [​IMG]

7. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have a 2 gold-sex links and adore one of them. They are both very friendly, and were my first to lay & are dependable. I plan on selling eggs next year and I'm thinking about adding 12 Sex-links to my flock.

8. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I have five golden comets - (had 6, once disappeared while I was on vacation - think a neighbors kid let one out accidentally - but that is for another day).
    Anyway - I love them. They are very friendly - and at 5 months old I am getting an egg a day from each of them. All large and have had a few double yolkers. They started laying at about 14 or 15 weeks old. Sooner than I had expected - and my nest boxes weren't done when they started to lay. Hubby got that fixed quick though.

You'll like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by