Red Sex link Roo - should I keep him?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonicasGarden, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MonicasGarden

MonicasGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hemet, California
    I found these two Sex-link chickens at my local feed store, they were so pretty and unusual with their purple feathers, that I had to bring them home...not knowing much about sex links. I knew enough at the time to know that one is female and one is male...at least I think so...

Now that I have learned more and know that I cannot breed these two to have more sex link babies... I am trying to decide if I should keep the rooster.
    I definitely don't need another rooster... I know the females are very good egg layers...so I will definitely keep her...

So, my question is... if they do breed, what do I end up with? Will the male just basically reproduce RIRs or whatever other chicken was used??

Can either of these be used to breed with another type of chicken and get sex-links?

Basically, why would I want to keep the rooster (other than the fact that he is pretty, lol)???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you use them for breeding, you'll get mutts. I don't say that with unkindness, just the reality of it. The Sex Link is itself a cross or hybrid. They do not reproduce with chicks that can be sexed. That only works the first time with the parent stock. The chicks they would produce would be quite mottled and muddled. I personally wouldn't see any great benefit to using them in any breeding program. That's just me.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    You could use the rooster over Barred Rock hens and make some Black Sex Links.

I used some red sexlinks with a White Rock rooster and I got alot of different colors, Barred Red, Barred, White, Brown (Partridge), and some that looked like the sexlink hens I used. I hatched out 18. They were 4 weeks yesterday.

4. MonicasGarden

MonicasGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hemet, California
    Quote:That's a good idea... Might try it.
    I will have to see what type of a rooster he turns out to be and see if it is worth keeping him...
    If you have any pictures, I would like to see them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by