Red sex link rooster? Help!

Kristen Squires

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
We know nothing at all about chickens! My 15-year-old daughter is into chickens now, and is in the process of raising her third batch. However one of the six looks distinctly different in color, and we are wondering if we have ended up with a rooster. I know that the roosters are supposed to be white, but this bird looks to be about half-and-half to me, and we have no idea.

Attachments

• F233ED8D-6AA9-488D-9116-E733624F7CE8.jpeg
    F233ED8D-6AA9-488D-9116-E733624F7CE8.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 97FF5255-D297-456B-B83A-35234B761F66.jpeg
    97FF5255-D297-456B-B83A-35234B761F66.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 42
I didn’t say that I wanted a rooster! Just that SHE did! Having said that, I do find it interesting that this is her third set that she has raised, and we have not gotten a single rooster. This set makes a dozen hen. It does seem odd.
If we did get a rehomed rooster though, what age should we get, and what should we look for? I hear such horror stories about them. It seems to me that we’re doing just fine without one.

I didn’t say that I wanted a rooster! Just that SHE did! Having said that, I do find it interesting that this is her third set that she has raised, and we have not gotten a single rooster. This set makes a dozen hen. It does seem odd.
If we did get a rehomed rooster though, what age should we get, and what should we look for? I hear such horror stories about them. It seems to me that we’re doing just fine without one.
:lol: I suppose there is a difference there. Did you buy sexed pullets, straight run chicks, or hatched eggs? If you got 12 hens out of straight run, you should buy a lottery ticket! Super lucky! How old are your hens? I would say you probably want an older roo, not a cockerel. Cockerels are hormonal hassles. You want one that is not human aggressive at all, and also one that is not aggressive towards other chickens. I'll make another post linking a few threads I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom