1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sex Link Rooster / Rhode Island Red Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mpopovits, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mpopovits

mpopovits New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    Kingston, ON (Sydenham)
    I'm new to keeping chickens and plan to make some eggs for hatching. I have 5 Rhode Island Red hens and two Black Sex Link Hens.
    A neighbour of mine has graciously offered to loan me her rooster for a few weeks so I can get some fertile eggs from my hens for hatching. The rooster is a red sexlinnk http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/0/05/900x900px-LL-05a9e0d4_GEDC2809.jpeg
    What properties will the new chicks have from this mix? I've read some other postings on these forums that so i know that it won't create sex link chicks - just wondering what it will create?

Egg laying ability is the main purpose for my hens.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The rooster is a rose combed, red mix bird. Interesting.

You'll get chickens, that's for certain. But seriously, the rooster is a grab bag, the BSLs are certainly mixes and the RIR you have may be as well. Unless you got your Reds from a breeder, they too are likely a production red of some kind. So, the results of all this cross, mix and match will be, or could be, quite the varied visual affair. Egg laying would be somewhat unpredictable, but should be just fine, as everything in those birds' make up is very likely from the more production side of the universe.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. mpopovits

mpopovits New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    Kingston, ON (Sydenham)
    thanks! I guess I'll try hatching a small number and see what comes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by