1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sex Link Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kimberlyxoxo, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Kimberlyxoxo

Kimberlyxoxo New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    We know a baby red sex link that is white is a rooster. When does the red coloring come out? My baby chicks are almost two months old and they are still solid white.

2. Leave a LightOn

Leave a LightOn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    [​IMG] Hello! The red should be noticeable at hatch. That is the purpose of breeding sex-links, to be able to establish gender right away. Did you buy these chicks from some who has more than 1 breed for sale? They might have mistakenly sold you the wrong breed. If you didn't specifically ask for girls (pullets) they may have sold you what was left. The white boys (cockerels) are still technically red sex-links. Can you post a picture?
    Hoping for the best for you!

p.s. Male red sex-links are usually white with red splotches. I'm not sure when the spots appear, but I thought early. This is why I thought maybe a different breed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by