Red Sex-Link Roosters - Opinions of/Experience With them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charles07, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Charles07

Charles07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I have 1 that is a gift from a neighbor. He is calm, gentle and good with children. He calls the rest of his flock over when food is presented (offering it to them and often eating last), among many other admirable/good shepherding behaviors.

I am almost done with my 2nd coop and am looking to create a 2nd flock.

I have a choice to make between another Red Sex-Link Rooster and a Barred Rock Rooster (I have kept the latter so far because of his colors, both are 20 weeks old)). So far the younger Sex-Link has been exhibiting similar traits compared to the other, older one.

Is this semi-typical behavior for this breed?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I find that semi-typical behavior for a lot of roosters. Their behavior is very dependent on the individual chicken's personality, whether male or female. With the sex link roosters, you don't know what breeds are in their parentage. There are several different breeds that can make red sex links. Sex links are not a breed. They are crosses between other breeds.

You can never be sure how a rooster will react when he becomes the flock master of his own flock. I'm guessing that right now he is with a flock that includes another dominant rooster. Sometimes their behavior can change dramatically when they are removed from the influence of a dominant rooster. Absolute power corrupts absolutely? I have had them dramatically change. I've also had them continue to behave as a good rooster should.

Right now, I am trying to decide between two red sex link roosters as my next flock master. They are about equal in quality and the dominant one is behaving himself well. I'll probably go with him, but I still have a few weeks to make a final decision. Sometimes it is hard to choose between two nice roosters. These happen to be from a Speckled Sussex rooster and a Delaware hen. Nice looking roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by