Red sex-link soon to arrive!!! What to expect

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redrstr29, Mar 19, 2013.

1. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    I live in CT and ordered 4 Sex link started pullets 17 weeks of age......Patiently waiting for their arrival to the feed store and a phone call from them, everythings ready for their arrival!!,,,,, Its been 3 years since keeping chickens, havent had much experience with this breed, any suggestions???......I raised barred rock and RiR for years and are very excited of this new breed!! Also while checking out the feed stores web site I noticed that they already arrive de-beaked :( but I had no control over that, I have had some debeaked hens in the past that were bought at auctions but that was 300 yrs ago and dont remember if they had any issues I hope im not going to have any now!! Id appreciate any input any one has on the breed, what to expect and whatever else!!
    Thank you very Much

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your new birds and WELCOME TO BYC!!!

[​IMG]

If your Red sex links are Cinnamon Queens, they will be EGG LAYING MACHINES....

Problem with "debeaked" birds is, they can't free range well. They need a feeder that is semi deep so that they can get the feed in.

Be certain to post some pics once they've settled in!

3. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    Thank You,
    I'm excited the feed store said they'll be here by the weekend, I'm hoping for an early suprise, They are expected (as told me by a previous buyer of the same feed store) the first year they laid an egg a day missing only a few days!!! I will defenitely post pictures!! Also should I feed crumble, I think it would be easier for them to pick up? I think i had a rex link before in one of my past flocks but don't remember to well, all I remember was a huge egg every day and a lot of dbl yolkers, I started off with 4 but i could order more for late April.....we'll see how it goes, I also have the option in jun for some white leghorns,, but i'm trying not to get too nuts....I would of done my own eggs since I have an incubator, but i did it so many times and are sooo over the baby thing lol lol, maybe later......

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think pellets are easier for a debeaked chicken. Crumble requires the find touch of the end of a beak that touches.

GOOD LUCK!

5. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    well i am one step closer, went to the feed store yesterday to get the feed first, not the feed store the pullets are coming from, I asked for layer pellets, The woman told me they only had crumbles I said Ok....I got home and looked at the bag and realized they had given me Blue seal Starter/grower crumbles with a 22% prot. The good news is it was only a 25 lb bag.... Hope it does hurt their first few weeks if they start to lay, theres also 0.8% calcium in it...should I supplement more? I was a little bummed and ....lol..... the 25 lb bag was 11.80.....a few more days and they'll be here...I'm trying to find pics of my BR I had and RIR....

6. Cafuen

Cafuen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    I have 6 of these chickens and they are egg laying machines for sure and they have the best temperament! I add their own egg shells back in their feed for calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by