Red Sex Link Suddenly Not Laying :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tassiegirl01, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tassiegirl01

Tassiegirl01 Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Hi everyone, I've gone through the checklist and am stumped on why my Red Sex Link suddenly stopped laying. She is free-range, and her sister lays an egg every morning, as she used to also. About a month ago, she stopped laying. I wormed the flock, checked for mites, searched for an outdoor nest, locked her up for a week to see if she would lay in the coop... Nothing! She's only a couple of years old and has been laying an egg almost every day up until now (and always in the coop). Help! Thanks in advance for any ideas

2. PatrickRoo

PatrickRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Hi, @Tassiegirl01 :welcome Throw out some plain yogurt for her. Do this for a couple of days. If she doesn't lay after that, you may consider that she has run out of eggs for the year or forever, since she is a type of Sex Link chicken and they lay a majority or sometimes even all of the eggs they were born with usually within the first two or three years.

3. Tassiegirl01

Tassiegirl01 Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks @PatrickRoo ! I'm hoping it is some kind of imbalance, or she's being really stubborn about her secret nest... but I'm not convinced of either. We adopted these chickens, so no way to be 100% sure of how old she is, which could mean she's at the end of the road laying-wise....

PatrickRoo likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by