RED Sex Link vs. BLACK Sex Link....who's better layer?

BK79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
I been hearing different views and observation on the Black and Red Sex links. I have Red Sex links and they have been producing everyday non stop...they are still young mind you. But a friend says the Black Sex links produce better and more eggs than a Red Sex link? is this true?
what are your observations on this subject matter?

There is no "winner" to this argument.

The fact that they can be sexed at hatched says very little about their laying ability, frankly. There is no "breed" called BSL or RSL. The chicks inherit the laying ability of the parent stock used. If the parent stock is designed for top laying, the chicks will be also. If they parent stock is merely average laying stock? You guessed it, so the chicks will be also.

There's dozens and dozens and dozens of strains of these hybrid/mixed layers. Thus, there is no winner in this argument.

Last edited:
There is no "winner" to this argument.

The fact that they can be sexed at hatched says very little about their laying ability, frankly. There is no "breed" called BSL or RSL. The chicks inherit the laying ability of the parent stock used. If the parent stock is designed for top laying, the chicks will be also. If they parent stock is merely average laying stock? You guessed it, so the chicks will be also.

There's dozens and dozens and dozens of strains of these hybrid/mixed layers. Thus, there is no winner in this argument.

Inherit that specific "parent's stock" or the stock of the breed in general?
Maybe "breed" was the wrong choice of words. A more suitable word is "variety"
YES there is a variety that is "Black Sex Link" and another different variety that is "Red Sex Link"

Well, the term "variety" is reserved for a variety of a breed. Such as White Rock, a variety of Rock, Barred Rock being another variety, as well as Buff, Silver Penciled, etc.

But we digress.

There is no one, singular Black Sex Link nor is there a singular Red Sex Link. There are many, many blends that get marketed as either. Normally? Folks may instinctively say that the Red Sex Link mixes usually are slightly better layers. The birds often used to make RSLs are typically great layers. Often the black sex link is a Red over Barred Rock bird and they are also very, very good layers.

I hope that helps. It is just very hard to make sweeping, general statements about hybrids. Since they are mixes, it just depends on the parent stock used.

Last edited:
Well, the term "variety" is reserved for a variety of a breed. Such as White Rock, a variety of Rock, Barred Rock being another variety, as well as Buff, Silver Penciled, etc.

But we digress.

There is no one, singular Black Sex Link nor is there a singular Red Sex Link. There are many, many blends that get marketed as either. Normally? Folks may instinctively say that the Red Sex Link mixes usually are slightly better layers. The birds often used to make RSLs are typically great layers. Often the black sex link is a Red over Barred Rock bird and they are also very, very good layers.

I hope that helps. It is just very hard to make sweeping, general statements about hybrids. Since they are mixes, it just depends on the parent stock used.

I'm glad we recognized the Red Sex Links as "RSL" as my hatchery that I deal with uses these exact terms to describe this chicken variety. Wow you really made this question I had sound overly complicated.

I can only speak on the laying habits of the Black Sex linked birds, since that's all I've had. The ones I had laid great, and did so for three years before they slacked off at all. Mine were also very easy going. Now here are my thoughts on red vs black. I really don't think there is a clear winner. Its like Fred said, it all depends on the parent stock used. Since there are many breeds that can be used when producing the hybrids, you can get some that will lay better than others. Also different hatcheries will use different combinations for their sex link stock. The BSLs I got were from Ideal. I found a great post about sex links at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information.

You can make red and black sex link chickens out of all kinds of breeds mixed together.
There are charts out there showing what breeds work best for making sex links.
Thus there is no pure bred sex links and no way to determine egg production from each color.

Hope this simplifies an answer to your question.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom