red sex link vs black sex link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, Jun 14, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i just wondering what the difference is between red and black sex links?
    does one lay more eggs and is one friendlier then the other?

2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Color is the only major difference.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yep, I think color is the main difference. I guess depending on what breeds went into making the sex-links (regardless of what color sex-link they make), would get you different temperaments, laying ability, and egg color.

4. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR
    How are their temperaments, in general? I know they have RIRs in their background, generally. The RIRs I have had were slightly on the "grumpy" side (compared to the silkies and Polish I've worked with otherwise). Do sex-links tend to share that trait or be more mellow?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Not all sexlinks are necessarily RIRs.

My black sexlinks are half Buff Orpington (other half Barred Rock) --- you know, the docile kind of breed. They are very good birds - I would take a hundred more just like them [​IMG]
    My red sexlink came from TSC so I don't know her exact breeding, but she is the best pet type bird that I have.

6. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    I prefer the red-sexlinks, but thats all ive ever had. My girls were the sweetest ever, and were very prolific!

7. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have BSL's that are Barred Rocks X RIR. I simply adore them and they have been awesome layers. Some of them will even jump up in my lap. In hindsight I would have went with the RSL's because it is so hot where I live and I am feeling bad for my black chickens in the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by