red sex link vs black sex link?

sydney13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
i just wondering what the difference is between red and black sex links?
does one lay more eggs and is one friendlier then the other?

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
Yep, I think color is the main difference. I guess depending on what breeds went into making the sex-links (regardless of what color sex-link they make), would get you different temperaments, laying ability, and egg color.

VelvetDragon

Chirping
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Portland Metro Area, OR
How are their temperaments, in general? I know they have RIRs in their background, generally. The RIRs I have had were slightly on the "grumpy" side (compared to the silkies and Polish I've worked with otherwise). Do sex-links tend to share that trait or be more mellow?

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Not all sexlinks are necessarily RIRs.

My black sexlinks are half Buff Orpington (other half Barred Rock) --- you know, the docile kind of breed. They are very good birds - I would take a hundred more just like them

My red sexlink came from TSC so I don't know her exact breeding, but she is the best pet type bird that I have.

apc

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Chickland, Il
I prefer the red-sexlinks, but thats all ive ever had. My girls were the sweetest ever, and were very prolific!

KandJsmama

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Enterprise (Las Vegas, NV)
I have BSL's that are Barred Rocks X RIR. I simply adore them and they have been awesome layers. Some of them will even jump up in my lap. In hindsight I would have went with the RSL's because it is so hot where I live and I am feeling bad for my black chickens in the heat.

Top Bottom