1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red sex link with black austrolop?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luludaxia, Apr 3, 2017.

1. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    I got some hatching eggs. I was told by the seller that they are red sex link with black australorp. They hatched yesterday, but lots of white ones and some black ones. I don't understand where the white ones come from?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Maybe the white ones are a different cross? I hatched two Gold Star/Australorp chicks and they looked like a Australorp chick, but with less white on them. They are 3 weeks old now and the female is all black with some white tips on her wings and the male is black with red coming in on his chest. Do you have pics?

3. luludaxia

Sep 14, 2016
    Not yet. But they are so white, just like the delaware chicks I hatched before and I can't believe it.

4. luludaxia

Sep 14, 2016
    Why people like to cross sex links with australorps, I know several people do that, is there any advantage in crossing these two together?

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I've never heard of people wanting that cross specifically‚Äč, but both parents are very good layers.
    I just grabbed a couple eggs from a carton of eggs we got from a farm. Didn't even know what they were going to be until they hatched and we called the farmers and asked what they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by