1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sex Link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by feather13, Sep 8, 2015.

1. feather13

feather13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Took these photos with my phone, so apologies for the poor quality. A friend gave me this hen a year and a half ago. He told me that she was a Red Sex Link, although when I Google this breed, it looks nothing like her. She's now two years old and lays an egg every single day. She was attacked by a stray husky dog last year that broke her wing and caused her to molt all over her stomach, but otherwise she is a tough, friendly, small bird who rules the roost. Do you think she's a Red Sex Link? Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not a red sex link, but very likely a black sex link.

3. feather13

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Thank you, Sourland! I hadn't heard of the Black Sex Link breed, but from Google photos, she definitely looks like that breed!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She could be a black sex link, or she could be a mixed breed. sounds like she's a hardy girl either way!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She definitely looks like a Black Sex Link pullet. Black Sex Links are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and my BSLs have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:)

7. feather13

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Thanks, all, for your helpful replies! Yes, Michael Oshay, she is an egg laying machine and by far the best egg producer we've ever had, including throughout the winter. She even laid an egg the day after she was attacked by a husky!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I've been very impressed by the persistence of Black Sex Links' laying in really cold winter weather. :eek:)

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Black Sex-link.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    black sex link - too bad she didn't get her wing fixed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by