Red sex linked and Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stephieebear16, Oct 15, 2016.

1. stephieebear16

stephieebear16 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Akron ohio
    Ive been wanting to get easter eggers i already have red sexlinked and i wanted to put them in the same housing. I read on other websites its not good to mix breeds. Also i do not hav a rooster do i need to get one if all together id have 8 chickens?

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are just fine! Here is my flock of mixed birds...I have Red Sex Links, Easter Eggers, Blue Andelusians, a light Brahma (I had more of them and some Buff Brahmas as well), Cuckoo Marans,White Orpingtons, Silkies, White Cochins, Wellsumers, Ohio Buckeyes.....I think I'm missing a couple but you get the idea. They are all great together.

[​IMG]

Now, that said, I don't think folks meant to imply that it wasn't good to mix breeds...I think they are saying that when you introduce new birds you have to be careful to take your time integrating them. Chickens are very "territorial" and they don't like newcomers very well. And sometimes the newcomers want to throw their weight around and may start to bully the other birds. Most of the time it's the older birds against the newcomers, but it can happen either way. I have never integrated older birds with an existing flock, but if you put "Integration" in the search box lots of more experienced people can help.

So I'd suggest doing some research on integration. You don't say if the new birds will be chicks, started pullets or adults. I put my chicks in an outside pen with the adults from the start. They can see each other, but can't get to each other. Older chickens don't seem to see chicks as much of a threat, although some will kill chicks. I've never had that happen, but other folks have. In case you are looking at chicks, here is an article about how I raise chicks in with the adults.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

The same basic concept will work to integrate older birds as well, but you would be smart to keep them isolated in separate pens, rather than in the same pen, at first....at least a month....to be sure that you aren't introducing any parasites or diseases to your flock.

You don't need a rooster. Some people like them because they are a good warning system when predators show up, and some will fight a predator and give the others a chance to get away. But I've had 20+ birds, lots of eggs, and not a rooster one. I have a few Silkie roosters now, but they are mostly just eye candy - kinda worthless in the rooster department! [​IMG]

Good luck! And try not to worry too much. You are already ahead of the game trying to get answers to your questions first!

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Mixed breed flocks do just fine together! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. AmieD

AmieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    I started with chickens in April and we have a mixed flock. I kept adding chickens as I learned more about different breeds and fell in love with chickens. I agree with introducing them where they can look, but not touch and with quarantining chickens. This has worked for me. Mine all get along and live together, but tend to hang out in small family groups. You do not need a rooster. We ended up with 2 that were incorrectly sexed. They are nice to people, but rough on the pullets when they mate and actually injured one. We just don't have enough sexually mature pullets yet since we weren't planning on having roosters. The other girls will mature in a few months so they can spread their love around a little more and things should get better.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by