1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red sex linked chickens first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Weber 1991, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Weber 1991

Weber 1991 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Clarkston, Washington
    Just got my first egg today (17 weeks :).) Well she be continuous after that?

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    One of our Black Sex Links was the first of ours to lay. She was around 17 weeks as well. First egg, then no more for 3 days, then another egg, skipped a few more days, then an egg. It seemed to take a month or so before all mine were laying consistently

1 person likes this.
  3. FlutterbyChicks

FlutterbyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    My red sex link was the first to lay around 18.5 weeks. She's now 23.5 weeks and the only one laying! I have another red sex link the same age, and 5 others of different breeds that are 21.5 weeks. She has only skipped 3 days total in the whole 5 weeks she's been laying, and her eggs have gotten progressively bigger. AND one of the days she skipped, she laid a double yolker the next day!

4. Weber 1991

Sep 23, 2015
    Clarkston, Washington
    That's awsome.I'm excited. I have 14 sex linked chickens. Thanks for the info.

5. AngieL

AngieL New Egg

May 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    My Red Sex Link started laying at 18-1/2 weeks and hasn't stopped. So far, she's the only one that given me an egg everyday for the last 9 wks with no breaks. Hers are by far the largest too (large - extra large) and several have also been double yolkers. I have a Black Sex Link that takes a one day break about every 5 -6 days, but her eggs are still about medium sized. I also have a Black Australorp and Barred Rock and between the 4 girls I'm getting just over 2 dozen eggs per week but I'm sure that number will drop as the days get shorter.

6. Weber 1991

Sep 23, 2015
    Clarkston, Washington
    Well I'm 3 for 3 with my eggs but there is 14 of them and there all sex linked. Could be different girls.

7. FlutterbyChicks

Jan 21, 2015
    It could be, but it seems to me (in my extremely limited experience) that the Sex Links are fairly good layers. We kept thinking maybe we had a few layers, but after a week or so of just one egg, we figured out it was just one. Since my first response, our other Sex Link laid an egg yesterday, as did our RIR. Yay!

8. Weber 1991

Sep 23, 2015
    Clarkston, Washington
    Got ten today!:)

9. FlutterbyChicks

Jan 21, 2015
    10 in one day?! Wow, that was fast! Congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by